History of URBAN LODGE -St. John's Gate

The history of the Urban Lodge opens at St. John's Gate, where the Lodge was consecrated. St. John's Gate, Clerkenwell, as it is known today, was originally the entrance gate to the Priory of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.

After the Order had been disbanded in 1540 by King Henry VIII, the premises were used as a Hunting Lodge, an Armoury, a storehouse and for similar uses, at one time sheltering such scenery as Shakespeare used for his plays, until, in 1731, it became the headquarters of the " Gentleman'sMagazine."

In 1781, the Magazine shifted its headquarters to Fleet Street, and subsequently the Gate House became " The Old Jerusalem Tavern," to continue as such until, in 1887, the Order of St. John resumed occupation of the premises, which today are the Chancery of the Order.

Click here to download copy.

History for Home ...

Select what version of this topic you want to review.

TopicTitleUpdated ByUpdated On
HomeHomeAnil Dhiri01/18/2010 18:59:25

|<< Back |    

Login | Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement | Copyright 2010 by Urban Lodge, Site Developed by ProjectSaviour